on March 17, 2016 by test_editor in Archive_2016, March, Print Articles, Comments Off on March 17, 2016: House Down the Street; Looking at the Neighbourhood.

March 17, 2016: House Down the Street; Looking at the Neighbourhood.

March 17, 2016: House Down the Street;
Looking at the Neighbourhood.

By Maureen Cullingham.

In 1990, as a new resident of Mechanicsville, Maureen Cullingham began documenting the dwellings in her neighborhood. She took photos of every house and business and copied lists of the occupants from City of Ottawa directories. Those lists begin in 1912, the first year Mechanicsville was included in the directory after being annexed in 1911. The area is bounded by Scott Street to the south and the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway to the north, between Parkdale and Bayview.

Her collection includes at least four photos of each house or business between 1990 and 2015. The number of buildings existing now is between 200 and 300, depending on how stacked row-houses are counted.

Maureen’s collection also includes photos of an additional 40 or so dwellings that have been torn down (and sometimes replaced) in the past 26 years.
The last names of occupants over the years include, Bourguignon, Wistiff, Vachon, Derby, Sigouin, Dupuis and Villeneuve.

image of 2-storey home

Gone now…

Photo Caption: Presented here is the first in an occasional series of images of demolished houses. Number 26 Burnside Avenue sat beside the lane-way between Carruthers and Hinchey. The photo was taken shortly before demolition in spring 1990 Photo by Maureen Cullingham.

Tags:

No Comments

Comments are disabled.